Mistrial declared at neo-Nazi's murder trial in PhoenixJuly 12, 2018 11:04pm

PHOENIX (AP) — A judge has declared a mistrial in the case of a neo-Nazi charged with trying to kill a black man and fatally shooting the man's white girlfriend nearly eight years ago after a dispute in a Phoenix park.

Superior Court Judge Dean Fink made the decision Wednesday at the trial of Travis Ricci, who is charged with murder in the October 2009 shooting death of 39-year-old Kelly Ann Jaeger.

The judge declared the mistrial after a witness, in response to a question from a prosecutor, made a reference to Ricci spending time in prison, said Amanda Jacinto, a spokeswoman for the Maricopa County Attorney's Office, which prosecuted Ricci.

Authorities say Ricci intended to shoot Jaeger's boyfriend, who is black, but instead fired fatal shotgun blasts at Jaeger, who is white. Ricci is accused of angrily yelling racial slurs at Jaeger's boyfriend and harassing him over dating a white woman in an exchange in a north Phoenix park.

Prosecutors said Ricci left the scene to get a shotgun, returned in a sedan driven by an associate and fired two shots as Jaeger and her boyfriend stood near a pay phone.

Jacinto said it's her understanding that the agency will seek to retry Ricci.

Bruce Blumberg, one of Ricci's attorneys, confirmed that a mistrial had been declared, but declined to make further comments.

Authorities had sought the death penalty, saying Jaeger's killing was meant to further the interests of the Vinlanders Social Club, a neo-Nazi group with a reputation for violence that was later targeted in a law enforcement crackdown. Prosecutors have called the attack a hate crime.

Ricci pleaded not guilty, and his lawyers have raised questions about the ability of Jaeger's boyfriend, Jeffery Wellmaker, to identify him as the triggerman. They note that nearly two years after the attack, Wellmaker was jailed in an unrelated case and played chess with Ricci behind bars without recognizing him.

Aaron Levi Schmidt, who authorities say was driving a car used in the shooting, pleaded guilty to murder in Jaeger's death.

Lawyers for Ricci and Schmidt, both now 36, have said their clients weren't members of the Vinlanders.

___

Follow Jacques Billeaud at twitter.com/jacquesbilleaud. His work can be found at https://bit.ly/2GGWEPO.

Page 1 of 1

More Stories Like This

Judge dismisses suit filed by family of man killed by policeA judge's ruling dismissing a lawsuit filed by the family of an unarmed black man fatally shot by an Ohio police officer says the man's civil rights were not violated
FILE - In this April 27, 2018 file photo, Florida school shooting suspect Nikolas Cruz, looks up while in court for a hearing in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. The state commission investigating the Florida high school massacre is learning about what happened before, during and after the shooting, but perhaps even more importantly what didn’t happen. There are gaps in school programs and state gun and mental health laws, but they didn’t allow suspect Cruz to buy the semi-automatic rifle allegedly used in the February attack that left 17 dead at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. (Taimy Alvarez/South Florida Sun-Sentinel via AP, Pool, File)
Commission learning what caused and didn't cause massacre
2 sentenced in murder of Chinese grad student in Los AngelesA woman has been sentenced to life in prison for the beating death of a University of Southern California graduate student from China, and a co-defendant was given 15 years to life
Man pleads guilty to shooting US diplomat in MexicoA California man has pleaded guilty to shooting a U.S. diplomat in Mexico
Rights group questions DEA exploit of encrypted cellphonesHuman-rights group questions DEA use of rigged smartphones designed to defeat encryption
FILE - In this July 5, 206 file photo, protestors gather near the Triple S Food Mart after Alton Sterling was shot and killed by Baton Rouge Police in the early hours of Tuesday morning  in Baton Rouge, La.   Baton Rouge prosecutors have ruled out criminal charges against several people who are suing over their arrests at protests after a deadly 2016 police shooting in Louisiana's capital. A court filing shows the district attorney's office notified plaintiff's attorneys on Wednesday, July 12, 2018,  that it won't prosecute five protesters and two journalists who were arrested on misdemeanor charges.  (Hilary Scheinuk/The Advocate via AP)   /The Advocate via AP)
Charges ruled out against arrested protesters, journalists
AdChoices

Related Searches

Related Searches

AdChoices