Sexual assault reports against Wynn filed with Vegas policeFebruary 14, 2018 2:21am

LAS VEGAS (AP) — Two more sexual misconduct allegations were leveled against embattled casino mogul Steve Wynn on Tuesday, when police in Las Vegas revealed they recently received two reports from women saying the billionaire sexually assaulted them in the 1970s.

This was the first admission from police in Las Vegas about reports filed against Wynn since sexual misconduct allegations against him were revealed last month.

One woman reported Wynn assaulted her in Las Vegas and the other said she was assaulted in Chicago, the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department said in a statement. The Las Vegas case will not be investigated because the statute of limitations in Nevada is 20 years.

The victim of that alleged assault contacted the department from St. Louis on Jan. 29, three days after the Wall Street Journal reported that a number of women said Wynn harassed or assaulted them and that one case led to a $7.5 million settlement.

The other, filed in Las Vegas on Feb. 5, is being forwarded to the Chicago Police Department.

Details of exactly what transpired during the alleged assaults was not disclosed.

The billionaire has vehemently denied the allegations, which he attributes to a campaign led by his ex-wife.

"In the last couple of weeks, I have found myself the focus of an avalanche of negative publicity," Wynn said in the written statement that announced his resignation last week as chairman and CEO at Wynn Resorts. "As I have reflected upon the environment this has created — one in which a rush to judgment takes precedence over everything else, including the facts — I have reached the conclusion I cannot continue to be effective in my current roles."

Wynn Resorts spokesman Michael Weaver on Tuesday said the company does not have a comment on the reports filed by the women "because this involved a company before the establishment of Wynn Resorts."

Wynn is facing scrutiny by gambling regulators in Nevada and Massachusetts, where the company is building a roughly $2.4 billion casino just outside Boston. Regulators in Macau, the Chinese enclave where the company operates two casinos, are also inquiring about the allegations.

The Nevada Gaming Control Board on Monday set up an online form that allows people to report information on any of its active investigations. The reporting system was set up after the agency received numerous calls regarding the investigation against Wynn.

Wynn Resorts has also created a committee to investigate the allegations. On Monday, the group announced it was expanded its scope to review the company's internal policies and procedures to ensure a "safe and respectful workplace for all employees."

More Stories Like This

The Latest: Shareholders in 2nd lawsuit against Wynn ResortsA second group of shareholders has filed a lawsuit following the sexual misconduct allegations that surfaced last month against casino mogul Steve Wynn
CORRECTS SPELLING OF SCHOOL NAME FROM MAJORITY STONEMAN DOUGLAS TO MARJORY STONEMAN - Crosses and flowers hang on a fence near  Marjory Stoneman Douglas  INParkland, Fla., on Saturday, Feb. 16, 2018, in memory of the 17 people killed in a school shooting on Wednesday.  As families began burying their dead, authorities questioned whether they could have prevented the attack at the high school where a gunman, Nikolas Cruz, took several lives. (AP Photo/Brynn Anderson)
Florida legislators struggle with how to respond to shooting
France drops rape investigation against budget ministerFrench investigators have dropped an investigation into rape accusations against President Emmanuel Macron's budget minister, citing lack of evidence
FILE - In this June 13, 2017, file photo, Assemblyman Phil Ting, D-San Francisco, right, discusses the state budget in Sacramento, Calif. In 2016, Gov. Jerry Brown vetoed a bill by Ting that would have expanded the list of those who can seek gun violence restraining orders to include, among others, employees of high schools and colleges. The school shooting in Parkland, Fla., on Feb. 14, 2018, that killed at least 17 people, has revived the debate about red flag laws. Ting said he plans to reintroduce the bill.  (AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli,File)
Democrats, Rubio want 'red flags' to enable gun seizures
In this Jan. 31, 2018 photo, Tony Rodio, president of Tropicana Entertainment, discusses the turnanound his casino has made over the past 10 years. Having lost its casino license a decade ago after former owners made drastic cuts that left it filthy, understaffed and losing customers, the Tropicana under the ownership of billionaire investor Carl Icahn has become the No. 2 casino in Atlantic City in terms of overall gambling revenue, trailing only the Borgata. (AP Photo/Wayne Parry)
Once near death, Tropicana now No. 2 casino in Atlantic City
President Donald Trump, center, accompanied by and first lady Melania Trump, right, and Dr. Igor Nichiporenko, left, speak to reporters while visiting with medical staff at Broward Health North in Pompano Beach, Fla., Friday, Feb. 16, 2018, following Wednesday's shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, in Parkland, Fla. (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik)
The Latest: Trump visits hospital, meets shooting survivors
AdChoices

Related Searches

Related Searches

AdChoices