Prosecutors: Men sexually abused girls they called bridesJanuary 12, 2018 11:14pm

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Two Utah men who believe in polygamy and doomsday had sexually abused young girls after conducting secret marriages they thought were ordained by God, prosecutors said Friday.

Each man believed they were married to two girls, ages 4 through 8, one of whom was related to them, prosecutor Kevin Daniels said. The pair formed a group called Knights of the Crystal Blade and created a remote, makeshift compound from shipping containers in the southern Utah desert.

John Coltharp, 33, was charged this week with child sodomy, about a month after police found four girls hidden in 50-gallon plastic water barrels and an abandoned trailer during a raid on the compound.

Similar charges are coming against Samuel Shaffer, 34, Daniels said. Authorities say they are still investigating the case and the full extent of the abuse.

Attorneys for the two men didn't immediately return calls seeking comment.

Both were charged last month with child kidnapping and other counts following the December raid about 275 miles (440 kilometers) south of Salt Lake City.

Sheriff's deputies descended on the area with helicopters and dogs after the mother of two of the girls reported them missing, along with two of her sons.

The boys were found in the makeshift compound, but it took police another day to find the girls because Shaffer had hidden them in the barrels and trailer, authorities said.

The girls were found after he was arrested and revealed their locations, police said. The children were treated for the effects of cold and symptoms of dehydration and are said to be recovering.

Shaffer and Coltharp were friends who bonded over a shared interest in arcane Mormon ideas long abandoned by the mainstream church, police have said.

The child marriages took place in summer 2017, before they decamped to the desert in mid-September in preparation for an apocalypse or in hopes of gaining followers, said Daniels, deputy attorney in Sanpete County.

"They were actively recruiting; they wanted to build this group up," the prosecutor said.

A man in California found their writings online and traveled to Utah to join them and was promised a child bride, according to search warrants made public this week.

Police also found weapons in their compound, Daniels said.

"These are extreme individuals with extreme beliefs that believe the end of the world is coming," he said. Police "prevented those little girls from dying ... or repeating a Waco-style shootout."

Page 1 of 1

More Stories Like This

Appeals court stays order for changes in Texas foster systemJudge orders Texas to make sweeping changes to foster care system 2 years after she found it unconstitutionally broken.
An empty walkway at an apartment complex that police say is linked to two of nine homicides by Cleophus Cookse, Thursday, Jan. 18, 2018, in Phoenix. The Sunday, Dec. 17, 2017, double homicide were two of Cooksey's relatives, according to police. (AP Photo/Ross D. Franklin)
Records paint bleak picture of suspect in serial killings
FILE - In this Tuesday Aug. 18, 2015 file photo, St. Paul's School student Owen Labrie looks around the courtroom at the start of his trial. Labrie was convicted of sexually assaulting a 15-year-old freshman girl as part of a game of sexual conquest. The prep school announced Friday, Jan. 19, 2018, it had settled a lawsuit filed by the parents of the student who accused Labrie of was sexually assaulting their daughter in 2014. (AP Photo/Jim Cole, File)
St. Paul's School says lawsuit settled in sex assault case
Lawmaker says bill could have prevented girlfriend's deathA Virginia lawmaker whose journalist girlfriend was fatally shot by a former co-worker during a live broadcast in 2015 is pushing for a new law he says could have prevented her death
Citing police torture, judge orders convicted murderer freedA Cook County judge cited alleged torture by Chicago police for overturning the conviction of a man who spent 21 years in prison for two 1997 murders
Gang member sentenced for killing 5 at homeless campA gang member who shot five people at a Southern California homeless camp in 2008 has been sentenced to life in prison for murder
AdChoices

Related Searches

Related Searches

AdChoices