Ex-officer charged in murder case cites tribal membershipAugust 12, 2017 10:31pm

TULSA, Okla. (AP) — A former police officer facing a fourth trial for the death of his daughter's black boyfriend can't be tried in Oklahoma because the shooting happened on American Indian territory, his attorneys argued in a new court filing.

Citing his membership in the Muscogee (Creek) Nation, attorneys for ex-Tulsa Police Department Officer Shannon Kepler asked a judge Friday to dismiss the case because the 2014 shooting happened on land inside tribal territory. The Tulsa World reported that Kepler was issued a Creek Nation citizenship identification card on Thursday.

Kepler's attorneys also cited a Tuesday decision by the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals that overturned the first-degree murder conviction and death sentence of Oklahoma inmate Patrick Dwayne Murphy. He asserted that state courts lacked jurisdiction because he was a member of the Creek Nation and that the crime occurred on Indian territory.

The federal appeals court concluded that decisions about the borders of the Creek reservation remained with Congress.

Kepler is charged in the August 2014 fatal shooting of 19-year-old Jeremey Lake. Kepler doesn't deny shooting Lake, but told investigators he acted in self-defense because he thought Lake was armed. Police found no weapon on Lake or at the scene.

Three mistrials in less than a year have been declared in Kepler's case. In the most recent trial, jurors deadlocked 6-6 last month after almost three hours of deliberations. Juries in Kepler's previous two trials, in November and February, deadlocked 11-1 and 10-2 in favor of guilt before a judge declared mistrials after up to 12 hours of deliberations in each case.

Kepler's fourth trial begins Oct. 9

Page 1 of 1

More Stories Like This

Getaway driver guilty of robbery in death of Chinese studentA getaway driver has been convicted of robbery but acquitted of murder in the drug-deal killing of a Syracuse University student from China
FILE - In this July 11, 2013 file photo, Scarlett Lewis, center, mother of Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting victim Jesse Lewis, hugs Lynn McDonnell, left, mother of victim Grace McDonnell, as Neil Heslin, right, father of Jesse Lewis watches after a public forum in Newtown, Conn. Lawyers for Lewis, Heslin and Leonard Pozner, father of Noah Pozner who also was killed in the school shooting, filed motions Tuesday, Aug. 15, 2017, in Danbury Superior Court seeking to see evidence that two teachers fatally shot in the massacre had access to keys that could have been used to lock their classroom doors. (AP Photo/Jessica Hill)
Parents of Newtown victims want to know if teachers had keys
FILE - This Sunday, July 2, 2017, file photo provided by the West Goshen Police Department shows David Desper. Desper, charged with fatally shooting an 18-year-old woman during a road rage encounter, waived his preliminary hearing scheduled on Thursday, Aug. 17, 2017, in West Chester. A formal arraignment was set for the following week. (West Goshen Police Department via AP, File)
Suspect in road rage killing of new graduate waives hearing
In a photo provided by the Michigan Department of Corrections, Richard Phillips is shown. Phillips, imprisoned 45 years is on the cusp of freedom after another man said he had no role in a 1971 murder in Detroit. A judge last week threw out Phillips' conviction and ordered a new trial. It's not clear if prosecutors will take that step or drop the case. Phillips has declared his innocence for decades. He's been cleared based on the words of Richard Palombo, who was a co-defendant at the 1972 trial. Palombo admitted his role in the shooting during a parole board hearing in 2010, but he insisted that Phillips wasn't present. Four years later, University of Michigan law school learned about Palombo's testimony and successfully reopened the case. (Michigan Department of Corrections via AP)
After 45 years, murder conviction scratched for Michigan man
FILE - Int his July 5, 2017 file photo, Assistant public defender Scott Sanders questions Orange County Sheriff Sandra Hutchens about the use of jailhouse informants during an evidentiary hearing for convicted murderer Scott Dekraai, left, at the Santa Ana Central Justice Center in Santa Ana, Calif.  Judge Thomas Goethals is weighing whether Dekraai should be spared the death penalty due to a long-running scandal over authorities' use of jailhouse informants. Goethals is expected to rule Friday, Aug. 18 on whether Dekraai should remain eligible for the death penalty or sentenced to life without parole for killing eight people in a 2011 shooting rampage at an Orange County hair salon. Sanders began asking questions about the use of jailhouse informants after noticing the same snitch had chattered up Dekraai and another one of his clients.  (Nick Agro /The Orange County Register via AP, File)
California mass killer spared death sentence
Cops: Man posed as wife on Craigslist soliciting his murderA Pennsylvania man accused of posing as his estranged wife in a Craigslist ad that solicited a hit man to kill him has been sentenced to jail
AdChoices

Related Searches

Related Searches

AdChoices