Court agrees to review decision to reopen 'Serial' caseJuly 12, 2018 9:24pm

BALTIMORE (AP) — Maryland's highest court has agreed to review a decision to reopen a high-profile case for a man whose murder conviction was chronicled in the hit podcast "Serial," according to an order issued Thursday.

Earlier this year, the Maryland Court of Special Appeals ordered a new trial for Adnan Syed, upholding a 2016 lower court ruling. But the state's top court has now agreed to consider whether Syed's murder conviction should actually be reinstated.

Arguments in the case are scheduled to be heard in the court's December session, according to court documents. It's far from clear when a decision might come.

Syed was convicted in 2000 of strangling 17-year-old Hae Min Lee and burying her body in a Baltimore park. He was sentenced to life in prison for the slaying.

But more than a decade later, he became a sort of cause celebre due to the hugely popular "Serial" podcast, which debuted in 2014 with the entirety of its first season dedicated to the long-running case. The show attracted millions of listeners and shattered podcast-streaming and downloading records.

"Serial" revealed little-known evidence and a loyal army of listeners often acted as armchair detectives, raising new questions about the case and whether Syed was indeed guilty.

Roughly two years later, a lower-court judge vacated Syed's conviction. Prosecutors appealed to Maryland's intermediate appeals court, which granted a new trial.

Syed's brother, Yusef, said the family hadn't yet heard about the latest court order. But he said the family remained hopeful when a reporter informed him about it.

"We believe that Adnan will come out and the truth will come," Yusef Syed said in a brief phone interview.

Rabia Chaudry, a family friend and staunch supporter of Syed's who brought his case to the attention of the host of "Serial" and also wrote the 2016 book "Adnan's Story: The Search for Truth and Justice after Serial," said she was "deeply disappointed" by the Thursday court order.

"We've been fighting to get him a new trial for nearly 20 years now. We've won the last two appeals; the courts have overturned his conviction twice. And yet the state keeps throwing tax dollars and wasting its time, his life, his parents' lives," Chaudry said. "And so now we're looking at like another year of appeals."

In its March ruling ordering a new trial for Syed, the appeals court found that his trial lawyer was ineffective for failing to investigate and contact Asia McClain, a potential alibi witness who said she saw Syed at a public library in Woodlawn, Maryland, around the time the state claimed Syed killed Hae.

Raquel Coombs, a spokeswoman for Maryland Attorney General Brian Frosh, said the court on Thursday granted the state the opportunity to make its case that Syed's trial lawyer, the late Cristina Gutierrez, was not ineffective. She said it also granted Syed's legal team the chance to make its arguments regarding key cellphone evidence.

___

Follow McFadden on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dmcfadd

Page 1 of 1

More Stories Like This

Man gets 50 years in death of woman found hidden in parkA Maryland man has been sentenced to 50 years in prison for the death of his girlfriend whose body was found hidden at a Baltimore park
Suspect convicted in killing of NY governor's aideA suspect arrested in the slaying of an aide to Democratic New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo has been convicted of manslaughter, but was acquitted of murder charges
FILE - In this June 28, 2018 file photo, Maryland police officers patrol the area after multiple people were shot at at The Capital Gazette newspaper in Annapolis, Md.  A grand jury has leveled 23 charges against a man accused of killing five people in a mass shooting at a Maryland newsroom. In a news release Friday, July 20, Anne Arundel County State's Attorney Wes Adams announced the indictments against Jarrod Ramos in the June 28 attack at the Capital-Gazette office in Annapolis. (AP Photo/Jose Luis Magana, File)
Grand jury indicts Maryland newspaper shooting suspect
FILE - In this July 11, 2018, file photo, Meechaiel Criner, accused of killing University of Texas student Haruka Weiser in April 2016, is escorted into a courtroom in Austin, Texas. A jury on Friday, July 20, 2018, found Criner guilty of capital murder. Criner, a foster care runaway at the time of the slaying, received an automatic life sentence. He was ineligible for the death penalty because he was 17 when the crime occurred. (Ricardo Brazziell/Austin American-Statesman via AP, File)
Jury convicts man in slaying of University of Texas student
Police find car sought in child's slaying; no arrests yetBaltimore police have found a white Mercedes-Benz that was seen in the area where a 7-year-old girl was fatally shot in an apparent drive-by shooting
Ex-president of suspended frat to stand trial in sex assaultA judge has ordered the former president of a suspended fraternity at Temple University to stand trial on sexual assault charges
AdChoices

Related Searches

Related Searches

AdChoices